I’m writing this on a week night waiting on a call from work. I’m ill and tired. So tired. I never got home early enough for Isaac’s bedtime so never got to see him today apart from Dereks updates. I am not in a good place.
Days like these, the ones where you can breathe from the stress, have become rarer. Thankfully. However, when all I want is to get a cuddle from my boy, which makes everything better, and I cant…. well it makes me so sad.
I’ve had to learn how to deal with stress. My job is high pressure which I mostly enjoy/need. A deadline, a target… you need that pressure and stress. However, switching off can sometimes be difficult. So these are the things I do…
- Computer off means off. Unless I’m on call or have something to finish off my computer stays off when I get home. A 5 minute check of the emails always ends up being half an hour of replying, just doing another 5 minute job and before you know it. If its important/urgent the phone will ring then I can get the computer fired up.
- Have a bath/shower… a few minutes of just peace. Generally shattered by Isaac or Derek running in.
- A walk. Fresh air… so important. It helps me clear my head and switch off.
- A cuddle on the couch – a reminder whats important.
- Good food.
- Laughter with my boys. Both make me smile. They know how.
- Exercise, even if its just half an hour in the gym. Its just like getting a walk. I struggle to get to the gym at the moment and its definitely telling.
- Writing – just getting the rant out sometimes helps!
As it was my evening improved… just starting to write helped get the grump out. I still missed my boy but got all the cuddles the next morning. ❤